As the principal city of the Fort Walton Beach-Crestview-Destin area in the panhandle of Florida, Destin is known for many things. However, the one thing most know this area for today is the beautiful beaches and resorts. Here are some of the other things Destin is known for.
Destin was once known as one of the luckiest fishing villages in the world. It's still a great fishing destination. Many captains take out groups of tourists and locals for deep sea fishing every year. Even the person responsible for the name of the city was a fishing master.
Captain Leonard Destin settled the area in 1845. He moved to the area for fishing and the city got its name from the Captain.
Another huge part of Destin is the tourism industry. The Emerald Coast area of Florida sees over 4.5 million visitors a year and about 80% of them arrive in Destin every year.
With 12 beach access points, plenty of great fishing and many other attractions, this area of Florida is very popular for travelers. Many visit the Sandestin resort every year with their families.
Along with fishing and tourism, Destin is also known for some of the celebrities and athletes that grew up in the area including:
- Kevin Greene - Former NFL Player
- Emeril Lagasse - Celebrity Chef
- Nick Wheeler - Part of The All-American Rejects
- Danny Wuerffel - Former Quarterback of the Florida Gators and Heisman Trophy winner
- Keith Brooking - Dallas Cowboys Linebacker
- Jerry Jones - Owner of the Dallas Cowboys
- Jason Elam - Former NFL Kicker
- Sheryl Crow - Singer, songwriter
- Jeff Cook - Founder of Alabama the band
- John Grisham - Best-selling Author
Destin is a tourist destination, fishing destination and has been home to many great celebrities. This is a very popular area in the panhandle of Florida for both tourists and those looking to relocate to the state.